I receive a lot of spam (read junk email) from people I do not know. It was so annoying and time consuming as I used to read all those emails thinking that they might be important! Geez.. 😦
You wouldn’ t believe the amount of bogus offers that arrive in my emial box everyday and a few of the email hoaxes I have fallen for. I hope I know better now!
Ever wondered how these emails reach you?
Whenever you post your email address on a website , a chat room or a newsgroup, your address like that of so many others, is purchased by email spammers from list brokers ( whose job is to harvest emails from the internet and then sell them to anybody who pays for them). These spammers then use a special software to send thousands or even millions of email messages at the click of a mouse.
How to avoid spam?
- Do not enter your email address in public sites like chat rooms, online bulletin boards or newsgroups.
- Use 2 email addresses – one for your personal use and the other for chat rooms and newsgroups.
- Use an email filter. It is provided by most email readers like Outlook and Netscape. This will allow you to filter spam or channel it into a bulk folder from where it can be deleted.
- Send a copy of the spam to email@example.com They will take action against people sending deceptive messages.
What to do with spam?
- The simplest and easiest way to do deal with spam is to – Delete it. Put it in trash. Don’t even open it. Just hit the delete button.
- Don’t reply to spam. Even to messages which say ‘ Remove me from the list.’ Chances are that it is just another way of making sure that your email address is active and can be spammed again.
- Don’t open attachments or links in your email. Delete it. Alternatively, before opening it, save it in your hard disk for your computer to check for viruses ( you must have an anti virus software installed in your computer for this).
- Don’t forward chain messages as you are facilitating spammers to gather more email addresses.
- Never ever purchase anything through spam. Put them out of business by doing so.